The Manchester Collection
These registers cover the period 1870-1916. The school admission registers usually give:
- Entry number
- Date of admission
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Name of parents or guardians
- Name of previous school (if applicable)
- Date of withdrawal
- Name of school sent to following withdrawal (if applicable)
Please note that, for reasons of data protection and personal privacy, we have redacted (removed from online publication) all images of pages of school admission registers on which one or more pupils were born in or after 1912. In practice, this means that school registers publication end-date for the collection as a whole is circa 1916.
The following school admission registers are included. Please note that where the end-date given for a particular school department is more recent than the cut-off date for online publication, this means that the original school registers survive and are held by Manchester City Council's Libraries, Information and Archives they are not available online.
Albert Memorial School, Collyhurst
Admissions (Boys), 1863-1925
Admissions (Girls), 1878-1927
Admissions (Infants), 1903-1925
Albert Memorial Primary was closed down in 1971. At this time and for some time before, there had been two Albert Memorial Schools Operating, the primary and a secondary school. See also M140.
Armitage Street Board School
Opened on 8 October 1877 with four departments and accommodation for 1,000 pupils.
Armitage Street School, Manchester:
Admissions (Senior Boys) 1878-1917
Admissions (Junior Boys) 1877-1909
Ashton under Lyne Holy Trinity School
Admissions (Infants), 1900-1925
Admissions (Mixed Junior), 1909-1925
Birley Street School
Opened on 21 August 1882 with four departments (boys, girls, junior mixed and infants) and accommodation for 1,009 pupils. In 1885 the higher standards of every street school were transferred and Birley Street was reorganised as a higher grade school with a separate science and art School. These two departments were amalgamated and the school was designated a higher elementary school on 12 August 1904. From 31 July 1910 to 22 July 1932 it was known as Birley Central School.
Birley Street School, Beswick:
Admissions (Boys) 1913-1925
Admissions (Girls) 1904-1925
Admissions (Junior Boys) 1904-1925
Brookdale Park School
The school began with infants and mixed departments. At some stage these became split into girls and boys departments, possibly with an infants department. In the summer of 1932, the boys and girls departments amalgamated to create a senior mixed department. No records of the infants department appear to have survived. Several records in the collection were originally titled as belonging to Culcheth Municipal Day School, Newton Heath. It is assumed that this was the predecessor school of Brookdale Park or the previous name of the school. The school closed in July 1980.
Brookdale Park School, Moston:
Admissions (Mixed Dept.), 1896-1907
Admissions (Girls), 1915-1925
Admissions (Boys), 1909-1925
Bury St. John School
Admissions (Boys), 1870-1903
Admissions (Girls), 1876-1906
Chapman Street School
Opened on 2 December 1878 and on 18 July 1883 the school moved to Upper Jackson Street. On 12 June 1894 the junior boys transferred to Bangor Street Board School. The boys department closed on 24 July 1925.¬† In 1932 it was renamed South Hulme Senior School for Girls and in July 1953 South Hulme Secondary Modern School.
South Hulme Secondary Modern School, Hulme:
Admissions (Boys), 1913-1925
Admissions (Girls), 1907-1920
Admissions (Girls Senior), 1916-1925
Cheetwood Junior and Infant School
A new school building was erected and opened on 16 September 1889 with accommodation for 1,250 children. It was built to take pupils from the Strangeways Boy's Board School (formerly Joynson Street) and Bury New Road Girls Board School. The school was opened in September 1889 as Waterloo Road Board School. The school had a large number of Jewish pupils, who made up four-fifths of the school population by 1907. The majority of these pupils were new arrivals in the UK.
Cheetwood Junior and Infant School, Cheetham (previously known as Waterloo Road School, Cheetham)
Admissions (Boys), 1920-1925
Admissions (Infants), 1913-1928
Chester Street Board School
Opened on 10 January 1876 with four departments and accommodation for 800 pupils. The boys and girls departments were amalgamated on 1 November 1926 to form a mixed department.
Chester Street School, Ardwick:
Admissions (Boys) 1902-1922
Christ Church School, Rochdale Road, Harpurhey
Admissions (Girls Infants), 1885-1907
Admissions (Boys Infants), 1884-1916
Admissions (Mixed Infants), 1917-1925
Admissions (Mixed Juniors), 1915-1925
Ducie Technical High School Boys Department
Opened in 1876 with four departments and accommodation for 1,000 pupils. The senior departments formed a higher grade school with a separate organised science school from 1896.
Ducie Technical High School Boys Department, Manchester:
Gaythorn County Primary
Opened with accommodation for 862 pupils on 16 May 1890. Infants from Holy Trinity School which closed the same day were transferred to the new building along with girls from St. Mark's (formerly National) School. Boys and staff from St. Mark's, and girls and staff from St Michael's (formerly National School, Cooke Street, Hulme) were transferred to the Duke Street buildings on 15 August 1910. On the same day pupils and staff of the old Duke Street School were transferred to the new City Road School. Boys and girls were amalgamated to form a mixed department on 22 August 1927.
Gaythorn County Primary, Manchester:
Admissions (Boys) 1900-1927
Admissions (Girls) 1910-1927
German Street Sunday School, Manchester, admission registers (ref: M12)
Boys' admission register, 1826-1833, 1855-1875.
Girls' admission register, 1826-1832
Admission register, 1851-1856
Infants' admission register, 1874-1875
Junior boys' admission register, 1874-1875
Junior girls' admission register, 1874-1876
Girls' admission register, 1872-1882
Grosvenor Street Wesleyan School
Formed in 1883 and transferred to the Manchester School Board on 20 January 1893.
Grosvenor Street Wesleyan Infants, Ardwick:
Hague Street Primary School, Newton Heath
Admissions (Mixed Department, Hulme Hall Lane), 1893-1903
Admissions (Mixed Department, Ten Acre Lane), 1900-1903
Admissions (Junior Mixed), 1896-1925
Ten Acre Lane School and Hulme Hall Lane School amalgamated in March 1903 to form Hauge Street Board School.
Heath Street School
Opened on 6 October 1894 as Cheetham Higher Grade Board School for Standard 4 and above only and an organised science school. The science school and the senior mixed department were amalgamated on 1 August 1904 to form Cheetham Higher Elementery School. From 1 August 1910 it was renamed Cheetham District Central School. In an area with a large Jewish population, Hebrew was taught at the school from February 1915. From 1 August 1917 the third and fourth year courses were organised as a day commercial school. Girls moved to a new girls department of the central school on 1 September 1924.
Heath Street School, Cheetham:
Admissions (senior mixed), 1906-1926
Heaton Norris Christ Church School
Admissions (infants), 1899-1921
Admissions (Junior), 1912-1919
Admissions (Senior Mixed), 1874-1928
Holland Street Schools
Opened on 9 September 1895 as an elementary and higher grade school with a mixed and an infants department. An evening school was opened on 14 September 1896. It transferred from Moss Side School Board to Manchester School Board in 1904.
Holland Street Schools, Miles Platting:
Admissions (Mixed Department), 1898-1925
Holy Trinity School, Platt, Rusholme
Admissions (infants), 1895-1908
Manchester Jews School
This specifically Jewish school was opened by the School Board at Southall Street, Strangeways and, as the community increased in size, a second school was built at Waterloo Road, Cheetham, which was known as the Manchester Jews School. School admission registers exist from 1874 onwards, covering infants, boys and girls. Please note that approximately 2,400 records taken from the admission registers for the Infants Department for the period 1899-1908 are being published in the form of data only, without images of the original register (which is held at the Manchester Jewish Museum).
Nelson Street School, Miles Platting
Admissions (Girls), 1917-1923
Admissions (Junior Mixed Dept), 1923-1925
Oldham St. Mary School
Admissions (Girls), 1901-1914
Admissions (Boys), 1901-1914
Admissions (Mixed Junior, 1914-1925
Openshaw Technical High School, Gorton Road
Also known as Openshaw Junior Technical School and Openshaw Secondary Technical School
Princess Road School
Opened on 12 October 1874 as a single mixed department. A new building was erected by the school board and opened on 12 August 1895 with accommodation for 1,182 children.
Princess Road School, Moss Side:
Admissions (Infants), 1913-1926
Ross Place School
Opened in temporary premises at Whitfield Street on 10 January 1881. The school moved to the new buildings at Ross Place on 7 June 1882.
Ross Place School, Hampden Street, Ardwick:
Admissions (Girls), 1911-1925
Admissions (Boys), 1916-1925
Southall Street School, Strangeways
The school began on 30 January 1871 as Salem Methodist New Connexion Day School, Joynson Street. From 11 March 1876 it became Salem Board School. It moved to Southall Street on 15 October 1879 and on 20 October 1879, boys were transferred from Park Street School to Southall Street Boys Board School. In May 1891 a Jewish mixed department was opened. The Christian mixed department closed c.1901.
Admissions (Jewish Girls), 1892-1925
Admissions (Jewish Boys), 1893-1912
Admissions (Jewish Infants), 1896-1925
St. Alban's Roman Catholic Secondary School, Fawn Street, Ancoats
Admissions (mixed department), 1896-1924
Admissions (infants), 1900-1922
St. James Church of England School, Gorton
Admissions (Boys), 1897-1925
St. Michael's Roman Catholic School, George Leigh Street, Ancoats
Admissions (boys), 1908-1925
The school opened in 1873 originally with at least a boys and girls department.
St. Oswald's Church of England Primary School, Collyhurst
Admissions (Infants), 1911-1925
Admissions (Boys Dept) 1884-1905
Admissions (Mixed Dept), 1904-1924
The school was located at Forrest Street and a branch school was opened at Gorton Street in May 1875. Ref: GB127.M66/120
Mixed Department, Gorton Street Branch School:
St. Paul's School, Higher Temple Street, Chorlton on Medlock
Admissions (Girls), 1913-1925
Admissions (Boys), 1903-1925
St. Philip Free National School, Hulme
Admissions (Boys), 1864-1876
Admissions (Night School: Boys), 1866-1873
Admissions (Boys: Junior), 1863-1925
Admissions (Infants Boys), 1896-1925
Admissions (Girls), 1911-1918
St. Thomas' School, Ardwick
Admissions (Boys), 1893-1925
Admissions (Girls), 1879-1917
Admissions (Infants), 1908-1924
Wenlock Primary School
The school began as Malpas Street School, later became Thomas Street School and finally on 10 September 1974 the school became Wenlock Primary School with junior and infants departments. It closed in December 1978.
Wenlock Primary School, Gorton:
Admissions (Junior Mixed), 1893-1915