How we can help you
As family historians ourselves, we know that researching your family history is a rewarding and challenging process. There are so many ways in which findmypast.co.uk will help you to get the most out of your research.
Learn about your past...and yourself
You can view over 1.5 billion historical records on findmypast.co.uk which hold invaluable details about your past. The following are some of our key records and how you will benefit from using them:
- Find out about the events that shaped your ancestors' lives: search our birth, marriage and death records
- Journey further back in time: search our unrivalled parish records collection to find your ancestors' baptism, marriage and burial records. These records are by far the most important source for family historians before 1837
- See where your ancestors lived: our complete 1841–1911 census collection will paint a picture of where your ancestors lived, who with and what they did for a living
- Chart your ancestors' voyages: use our migration records to find out about the foreign lands your family moved to, travelled to or worked in
- Learn about your military ancestors' experiences of war: our extensive military records collection contains detailed information about both World Wars, as well as many other conflicts such as Waterloo, Trafalgar and the Boer war
Discovering this information paints a vivid picture of your past. Learning about the choices your ancestors made can give you a sense of how you came to be the person you are today.
Build your family tree
Mapping your family tree online is the perfect way to bring your past to life. Our free online family tree is very easy to use.
Find new branches of your family tree
During the course of your family history research, you could stumble upon relatives you never knew you had. These could be long dead ancestors or relatives who are still alive today. Use findmypast.co.uk's living relatives search to find your family. We'll give you access to the latest electoral roll, telephone directory data (updated monthly) and historical directory information.