Briefly described in F. Madan, A summary catalogue of Western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library, vol. V, 1905, p. 180, nos. 26080-91.
The correspondence of Thomas Secker, Bishop of Oxford, 1737-58, ed. A.P. Jenkins, Oxfordshire Record Society, vol. 57, 1991, pp. xxi-xxii.
Oxfordshire Record Office: MS.Oxf. dioc. papers c.652, f.105; Jackson’s Oxford Journal, 25 July 1768.
Oxfordshire Record Office: MS.Archd. papers Oxon. c.27; Jackson’s Oxford Journal, 22 October 1762.
Jenkins op. cit., p. 239.
V.C.H. Oxon., vol. VII, Dorchester and Thame Hundreds, 1962, pp. 43, 53-54.
Thomas Secker when Archbishop of Canterbury gave interesting descriptions of Newington and Monks Risborough as Canterbury peculiars with no suggestion of any connection between the two, The Speculum of Archbishop Thomas Secker, ed. Jeremy Gregory, Church of England Record Society, vol. 2, 1995, pp. 235, 265.
V.C.H. Oxon., vol. X, Banbury Hundred, 1972, p. 237.
D.M.Barratt, ‘How the records reached the Bodleian’, The Oxfordshire Family Historian, vol. 2, no. 4, 1981, pp. 119-120.
Wantage, formerly in Berkshire, is the only one of these eleven not mentioned in this introduction.
All this non-probate material for the peculiars had come to the Bodleian partly with Oxford and Berkshire archdeaconry records deposited there in 1878, partly with the records of Buckingham archdeaconry deposited in 1914 and partly with the first deposit of Oxford diocesan records in 1915.
All Buckinghamshire and Berkshire local ecclesiastical records held by the Bodleian (except for nineteenth and twentieth century material forming part of the Oxford diocesan records, and a few items which could not physically be separated from Oxfordshire material) were transferred to the Buckinghamshire and Berkshire County Record Offices in 1959 and 1981 respectively.
Probate Records...1516-1732, vol. 1, p. vii.
Oxfordshire Record Office: MS.Oxf. dioc. papers c.18, fols.1-64.
Page ix above.
Household and farm inventories in Oxfordshire, 1550-1590, ed. M.A. Havinden, Oxford-shire Record Society, vol. XLIV, and H.M.C. joint publication, vol. 10, 1965, pp. 4-5.
Banbury wills and inventories, part one, 1591-1620; part two, 1621-1650, transcribed and abstracted by E.R.C. Brinkworth and J.S.W. Gibson, introduction by G.H. Dannatt, ed. J.S.W. Gibson, Banbury Historical Society, vol. 13, 1985; vol. 14, 1976. See especially part one, pp. 105-109 including the very interesting bar charts on pp. 106-7.
Listed ibid., part one, pp. 307-8; part two, pp. 164-5.
W.P.M. Kennedy, Elizabethan episcopal administration, vol. III, 1583-1603, Alcuin Club Collections, XXVII, 1924, pp. 291, 324, 329, 348; Visitation articles and injunctions of the early Stuart church, vol. I, ed. Kenneth Fincham, Church of England Record Society, vol. 1, 1994, pp. 13, 19, 36, 42, 47, 195.
Banbury wills and inventories, part one, pp. 67-8. The presentments of those years are printed in The churchwardens presentments in the Oxfordshire peculiars of Dorchester, Thame and Banbury, ed. Sidney A. Peyton, Oxfordshire Record Society, vol. X, 1928, pp. 203-218. This is borne out in the forthcoming edition of the Banbury Peculiar Court Act Book, 1625-38 (Banbury Hist. Soc.), where 190 of the 450 office cases deal with testamentary matters.
Oxfordshire Record Office: MS.Archd. papers Oxon. c.159, f.148b.
All of these six were overlooked and not included in the edition mentioned in n.19 above.
Widford and Shenington also not included here were only transferred from Gloucestershire to Oxfordshire in 1844, and from other dioceses to Oxford in 1859 and 1900 respectively.