FindMyFamilyHero Terms and Conditions
Thank you for entering your wartime ancestor's story.
These Terms and Conditions prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials. Entry/claim instructions are deemed to form part of the terms and conditions and by participating all claimants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the terms and conditions. Please retain a copy for your information.
1. The Promoter: Findmypast, 185 Fleet Street, London, England, EC4A 2HS (registered in England and Wales, registered company number 4369607)
2. Eligibility: This clause 2 applies to all entrants. This prize promotion is open to individuals aged 18 years or over, except:
a. employees of The Promoter or its group companies;
b. employees of associated agents or suppliers of the Promoter or its group companies, who are professionally connected with the promotion or its administration’ or
c. members of the immediate families or households of (a) and (b) above.
3. Promotional Period: The promotional period runs from 12am on Tuesday 1 November 2022 (the “Opening Date”) until 11.59pm on Tuesday 13 December 2022 (the “Closing Date”). All promotion entries must be received by the Promoter by the Closing Date. All promotion entries received after the Closing Date are automatically disqualified.
4. The prize promotion is free to enter, and no purchase is necessary.
5. Entry Instructions: To enter, submit a video story about your wartime ancestor on this online thread
6. Entrants may make only one entry to the promotion. All additional entries will be disqualified.
7. Any entries that the Promoter consider (in our absolute discretion) to be dangerous, vulgar, offensive, indecent, illegal, racist, copied, offensive, cruel or fraudulent, or infringe on the rights or copyright of others will be immediately disqualified.
8. No third party or bulk entries. If it becomes apparent that either a participant or household is using any means to circumvent this condition such as, and without limitation, multiple email accounts, multiple reproduced or computer-generated entries, using multiple identities, fraudulently falsifying data, acting fraudulently or dishonestly in the opinion of the promoter or otherwise acting in violation of these terms, these participants will be disqualified, and any prize entitlement will be void.
9. Incomplete, illegible, misdirected or late entries will not be accepted. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of delivery or receipt. No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are incomplete, lost due to technical reasons, corrupted, delayed, wrongly delivered, or not received for whatsoever reason.
10. Winner Selection: The Promoter will randomly select the one winner from eligible entries by use of a random number generator. The prize draw will take place on Wednesday 14 December (the “Draw Date”).
11. Prize Fund: One winner will receive: (1) a 12-month Pro subscription to Findmypast, (2) a 1-hour virtual family history consultation with Findmypast expert Jen Baldwin
12. Winner Notification: The winner will be contacted by the Promoter by the method they entered within 28 days of the Draw Date, and must provide their postal address and clothing size for the hoodie to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter within  days of being notified by the Promoter, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above in clause 10.
13. The subscription part of the prize will be automatically added to the winner's account. If the winner has a current subscription the prize will be added at the end of the current subscription period, unless they choose to start their prize subscription immediately and have the remainder of their existing subscription refunded. If the winner does not have a current Findmypast account, the winner must create an account and the free subscription will be added.
14. General: Promoter’s decision is final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
15. Prizes must be accepted as offered by the named winner. There is no cash or alternative prizes, in whole or part. The prizes are not transferable and cannot be resold.
16. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value should circumstances outside its control make this necessary.
17. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the winner and ask for proof of identity, age and address and to withdraw prize entitlement where there are reasonable grounds to believe there has been a breach of these terms and conditions.
18. The winner will take part in and co-operate fully with reasonable publicity and to the use of your name, photograph and any comments in such publicity without any fee being payable. If you do not wish for your personal information to be used in this way, please contact the Promoter at firstname.lastname@example.org. For the avoidance of doubt, this would mean the publication of your name as a winner on our social media pages. By entering the Promotion, each entrant grants the Promoter:
a. permission for your entry to be published on the Promoter’s website and social media pages, including but not limited to findmypast.co.uk; Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube;
b. permission for your Entry to be published in the press for the purposes of publicising this prize promotion and to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee;
c. a non-exclusive world-wide, irrevocable, license for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the Entry and any accompanying materials, to use display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, and sub-licence the Entry and any accompanying materials for purposes connected with the prize promotion and as described in these Terms and Conditions;
d. confirmation agrees not to assert any moral rights in relation to such use and warrants that they have full authority to grant such rights.
19. Entrants confirm that each individual whose image is featured in the Entry has given consent for the use of his/her image in connection with this prize promotion and in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Where an individual whose image is featured in a prize promotion entry is aged less than 18 years the entrant confirms that the parent or guardian of that individual has given the relevant consent for the Promoter to use the images in the ways described in clause 18 above.
20. The Promoter must either publish or make available information that indicates that a valid aware took place. To comply with this obligation, the Promoter will send the surname and county of the winner to anyone who emails email@example.com within 28 days after the prize promotion Closing Date. If you object to any or all of your surname, county and winning entry being published or made available, please contact the Promoter at firstname.lastname@example.org. In such circumstances, the Promoter must still provide the information and winning entry to the Advertising Standards Authority on request.
21. The Promoter reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to eliminate or disqualify any entries or entrants that it regards as being in breach of these terms and conditions or the spirit of the Promotion. Those who try to circumvent the entry process and/or entry instructions by any method, will be disqualified and any prize award will be void.
22. Entry into the Promotion is at the entrant’s sole risk. To the extent permitted by law, neither the Promoter nor Supplier accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury, costs, expenses or claims (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) suffered by entrants or any third parties arising out of or in connection with the Promotion and/or accepting a prize. The Promoter and Supplier further disclaim liability for any injury or damage to entrants or any other person relating to or resulting from participation with this Promotion save that nothing in these terms and conditions shall act to limit or exclude the Promoter and Supplier’s liability resulting from its negligence or fraud.
23. If for any reason, the Promotion is not capable of running as planned for reasons (including but not limited to tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Promotion), the Promoter reserves the right (subject to any written directions given under applicable law) to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion.
24. If an act, omission, event or circumstance occurs which are beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter and which prevents the Promoter from complying with these terms and conditions the Promoter will not be liable for any failure to perform or delay in performing its obligation.
25. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for system errors or other issues that may result in disruption to, lost, delayed or not received entries, winner notifications or prizes. The Promoter, the Supplier or its agencies will not be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of The Promoter or its agencies.
26. Where a prize is provided by a Supplier, the Promoter accepts no responsibility for inaccuracy of any prize description, and The Supplier is responsible for prize fulfilment.
27. If any of these clauses should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable then it shall be severed and deleted from these Terms and Conditions and the remaining clauses shall survive and remain in full force and effect.
28. The Promoter reserve the right to cancel, amend, withdraw, terminate or temporarily suspend this promotion in the event of any unforeseen circumstances or technical reason outside its reasonable control, with no liability to any entrants or third parties but will use all reasonable endeavours to avoid consumer disappointment.
29. The decisions of the Promoter are final and binding in all matters relating to the Promotion and no correspondence will be entered into.
30. The Promotion and these terms and conditions, and any disputes arising therefrom, shall be subject to English law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh Courts.
31. Data Protection: Any personal information that entrants share with the Promoter will be kept secure and only used in line with these terms and conditions unless the entrant has opted in to future marketing from the Promoter and/or the Supplier. Unless otherwise notified to the Promoter in accordance with clause 20, by entering the promotion, entrants agree that their information may be used by the Promoter to administer the promotion and provide confirmation of the winner’s surname and country on request in accordance with clause 20.
32. Promoter’s Privacy https://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/privacy-policy .