This week, continue getting carried away with your Catholic research
5-6 minute read
By Jessie O'Hara
We've added nearly 500,000 new additions to our English Roman Catholic collections.
As part of our ground-breaking Catholic Heritage Archive project, and home to the largest collection of British Roman Catholic records, our indexes are ever-growing. This week, we have brand new additions to our Catholic baptisms, marriages, and burials, as well as an incredible 118 new and updated newspaper titles.
The biggest release of the week, you can now explore nearly 400,000 new parish baptisms from the diocese of Salford.
Most transcriptions will include birth year and date, baptism year and date, church, parish, and parent's names. If you're working backwards, there's potential to discover more than one generation of ancestors to add to your family tree.
With Latin being the official language of the Catholic church until the 1960s, make sure to check out our comprehensive guide to understanding the language, helping you to decipher your ancestor's records quickly and easily.
Alternatively, refer back to the cheat-sheet above - you'll be flying through Latin in no time.
Did your ancestor find love in Lancashire? We've added 85,988 new parish marriage records to this expanding collection, also from the diocese of Salford. As with all three of these indexes, there are also records from the diocese of Westminster, Southwark, Plymouth, Middlesex, Liverpool and Birmingham in this collection, making them comprehensive resources for Catholic marriages.
These records offer a combination of details, including marriage date, the church name, parish of both spouses, and father's name of both spouses.
If you're struggling to find your ancestor in these records, bear in mind that it was a legal requirement to marry under the Church of England between 1754 and 1837 - it's worth browsing through our broader Anglican records, even if you're certain of your Catholic heritage.
Covering an incredible 92 churches across Lancashire and Greater Manchester, we've added 21,525 new burial records to this collection.
These records offer an abundance of information, including death date, burial date, and often burial ground. Make sure to check our expansive newspaper archive for your ancestors as well. Often, obituaries of notable names were recorded, offering further information on the death of your ancestor.
As well as this, you may discover news surrounding the Catholic appropriation of church and cemetery grounds in the 18th and 19th centuries. Though Catholics often faced marginalisation, the religion has flourished since the 1800s, and the Catholic church continued and succeeded in negotiations for more expansive grounds.
After hitting our milestone of 50 million newspaper pages just last week, we're storming ahead with another 500,000 new additions. You'll find 16 new titles stretching to all corners of the UK and beyond, with Welsh, Scottish, and Irish titles, as well as updates to 102 existing papers.
Amongst our new titles, you'll find Irish paper the Evening News (Waterford). 110 years ago this week, this title reported on the first successful flight from Britain to Ireland, after the tragedy of Damer Leslie Allen. Mr. Leslie Allen had set out to fly from London to Dublin, but regrettably did not reach his destination.
As the paper reported, popular opinion was that Damer Leslie Allen had dropped to sea:
"...he was fully equipped with floats and lifebelt, [so] he may be able to keep afloat till picked up by a passing vessel."
Unfortunately, he was never recovered, and was consequently pronounced dead. This didn't defer his friend Denys Corbett Wilson, however, from engaging in the same task:
"The other Irish aviator, Mr. Corbett Wilson, who started to fly from London to Dublin with Mr. Allen, has reached the South Welsh coast, and proposes to continue his flight."
This was a daunting task - as the paper stated, the Irish Sea presented more of a challenge than the English Channel, and previous aviators had been forced to swim ashore after their plane crashed.
Mr. Corbett Wilson was successful, and his achievement made him somewhat of a celebrity: he continued to grace the pages of the Evening News (Waterford) with his flying triumphs. Not long after, his flight back to London amassed a crowd of admirers. The paper later stated:
"Mr. Wilson is a young gentleman of means, and, though not long a student of the fascinating pastime, has readily achieved wonderful success."
But this is just one newspaper of many - make sure you browse through our full list of new and updated titles below.
- Bedworth Echo, 1980, 1987-1988, 1992, 1995
- Billingham & Norton Advertiser, 1987
- Brecknock Beacon, 1886
- Cannock Chase Post, 1992
- Cheltenham News, 1987
- Evening News (Waterford), 1900-1901, 1905, 1910
- Glasgow Mercantile Advertiser, 1882
- Hinckley Herald & Journal, 1988
- Kensington News and West London Times, 1876, 1882, 1887-1888, 1913, 1917-1918, 1920, 1922, 1925, 1927-1928, 1930-1934, 1938-1939, 1944, 1950, 1952-1954, 1957-1962, 1965, 1967, 1970-1971
- Llanelli Star, 1990
- Loughborough Mail, 1989
- Plymouth Extra, 1987
- Runcorn & Widnes Herald & Post, 1991
- Sleaford Target, 1991-1992
- St. Pancras Gazette, 1873-1939
- Sydenham, Forest Hill & Penge Gazette, 1875-1881
- Uxbridge Informer, 1986, 1988
- Abergele & Pensarn Visitor, 1872, 1878, 1890, 1893, 1896, 1898-1899, 1901-1902
- Accrington Observer and Times, 1989
- Aldershot News, 1910, 1985
- Amersham Advertiser, 1990
- Ashbourne News Telegraph, 1990, 1992
- Ayrshire Post, 1990
- Birkenhead News, 1988
- Birmingham Daily Gazette, 1897
- Birmingham Daily Post, 1898
- Birmingham Journal, 1830, 1844, 1846-1847, 1850, 1852-1853, 1855-1859
- Birmingham News, 1989
- Blairgowrie Advertiser, 1990, 1992
- Bootle Times, 1988-1989
- Brentwood Gazette, 1970, 1987
- Bridge of Allan Gazette, 1952
- Buckinghamshire Examiner, 1971, 1984, 1994-1995
- Burton Daily Mail, 1990
- Burton Trader, 1989
- Caernarvon & Denbigh Herald, 1988
- Cambria Daily Leader, 1909
- Cambridge Town Crier, 1991
- Cambridge Weekly News, 1989
- Caterham Mirror, 1990
- Central Somerset Gazette, 1888
- Chatham News, 1989
- Cheshunt and Waltham Mercury, 1992-1993
- Chester Chronicle, 1987
- Clevedon Mercury, 1988
- Crewe Chronicle, 1975, 1993
- Crosby Herald, 1987-1989
- Daily Record, 1992
- Dover Express, 1987
- East Grinstead Observer, 1989
- East Kent Gazette, 1888, 1895, 1902-1904, 1988
- Ellesmere Port Pioneer, 1993-1995
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald, 1986, 1989
- Formby Times, 1990-1991
- Fulham Chronicle, 1993-1994
- Galloway News and Kirkcudbrightshire Advertiser, 1992
- Gateshead Post, 1988
- Gloucester Citizen, 1965
- Gloucestershire Echo, 1992
- Harrow Gazette, 1870
- Harrow Informer, 1987
- Harrow Observer, 1965, 1981, 1993, 1995
- Herald Cymraeg, 1988, 1992
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer, 1993
- Herts and Essex Observer, 1986
- Hinckley Times, 1985, 1994
- Hoddesdon and Broxbourne Mercury, 1995
- Horley & Gatwick Mirror, 1989-1990
- Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 1910, 1990
- Huntingdon Town Crier, 1986, 1995
- Ilfracombe Chronicle, 1878, 1881, 1884-1885, 1887, 1890, 1952
- Ireland’s Saturday Night, 1894
- Irvine Herald, 1988
- Isle of Thanet Gazette and Thanet Times, 1876, 1988, 1990
- Kilmarnock Standard, 1982, 1984, 1990, 1994
- Liverpool Daily Post, 1891, 1893
- Long Eaton Advertiser, 1990, 1995
- Loughborough Echo, 1952, 1986, 1994-1995
- Macclesfield Express, 1994
- Middlesex County Times, 1987
- Newcastle Chronicle, 1898
- North Devon Herald, 1877
- North Star (Darlington), 1915
- Nottingham Evening Post, 1953-1954
- Ormskirk Advertiser, 1880, 1882-1883, 1903, 1905, 1910, 1950, 1952-1953, 1961
- Paisley Daily Express, 1882, 1887-1888, 1890-1893, 1989
- Perthshire Advertiser, 1948-1952
- Port Talbot Guardian, 1988-1989
- Retford, Gainsborough & Worksop Times, 1877, 1964-1966, 1968, 1971
- Ruislip & Northwood Gazette, 1986, 1989-1990
- Runcorn Guardian, 1903
- Runcorn Weekly News, 1988, 1991-1994
- Rutherglen Reformer and Cambuslang Journal, 1886
- Saffron Walden Weekly News, 1898, 1915, 1926, 1930, 1935, 1957-1958
- Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser, 1987
- Sevenoaks Focus, 1986
- Shepton Mallet Journal, 1954, 1958, 1963, 1966, 1972-1973, 1975
- Southall Gazette, 1994
- Stafford Post, 1990
- Staines & Ashford News, 1988
- Stapleford & Sandiacre News, 1990-1991
- Stirling Observer, 1987, 1990
- Stockport Advertiser and Guardian, 1863
- Stockport Express Advertiser, 1991
- Sunday Sun (Newcastle), 1947, 1950-1951, 1958-1959
- Surrey-Hants Star, 1989
- Sutton Coldfield News, 1904, 1907, 1910, 1988
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser, 1883, 1886-1888, 1890, 1893-1894
- Uttoxeter New Era, 1863, 1873, 1875, 1877
- Uttoxeter Newsletter, 1987, 1989
- Uxbridge Leader, 1989-1990
- Walton & Weybridge Informer, 1987
- West Surrey Times, 1875
- Western Evening Herald, 1986
- Western Morning News, 1912
- Westminster & Pimlico News, 1994
- Winsford Chronicle, 1967, 1974
- Wishaw Press, 1986
- Yorkshire Factory Times, 1889-1895, 1897-1904