Skip to content
  • Start free trial
Accessed via cache: false
  1. Findmypast Help
  2. Exploring family records
  3. Viewing and using records on Findmypast

How do I report a record error on Findmypast?

With billions of records published on Findmypast, it’s inevitable that there will be errors like spelling mistakes or mistranscription from time to time. If you notice a record error that needs to be changed, you can report it to us directly from the site.


Transcription error

If you notice a record transcription that needs to be changed, select the 'Report an error' button. You’ll be taken to the transcription error report page where you can input the correct information, add comments and submit the report. 

We can only amend transcriptions where they fail to reflect what was actually written in the original record.
Sometimes, you won’t see an option to report an error on transcription. This is usually because the record set in question has not been transcribed by Findmypast but sourced from an external site or existing record set elsewhere. Error correction reports for these records should be submitted directly to the record source which is usually listed on the transcription.

Was this article helpful?